The term, “blended learning” grew out of online learning and was first introduced in literature at the college level in 2004 and then at the K-12 level in 2014. The first K-12 online school opened in 1994 with the bulk of online programs opening in the mid 2000s. The first blended learning school is difficult to determine, but many suggest it was Rocketship Charter Schools that opened in San Jose, Ca 2007. It is important to note that the field of K-12 online learning began approximately in 1997 and the field of blended learning began approximately in 2007. Research in the fields of blended and online learning is emerging as you can’t study or research or evaluate something that does not exist. In addition, you can find ongoing research on my website here.
Listed below are resources that have developed in the field of blended learning.
- Christensen Institute
- Dell Foundation
- Donnell-Kay Foundation
- iNACOL Blended Learning Roadmap
- Rogers Family Foundation (Oakland, Ca)
Blended Learning Guides and Reports
- iNACOL Blended Learning Roadmap (2012)
- Blended Learning Implementation Guide 2.0 (2013) from Digital Learning Now, Foundation for Excellence in Education and the Learning Accelerator.
- Blended Learning Handbook 101 (2013) from Aspire Public Schools.
- Blended Learning Toolkit (2011) University of Central Florida.
- Promising Practices in Online Learning: Blended Learning (iNACOL)
Blended Learning Webinars
- Day in the Life of a Blended Learning Teacher (Nov. 2013, iNACOL)
- The Pedagogy of Being a Blended Learning Teacher: Personalize the Learning (Oct. 2013, iNACOL)
- The Role of Leadership in the Implementation of Successful Blended Learning Programs (Sept. 2013, iNACOL)
- Policy and Practice Considerations for Blended Learning (Oct. 2013, iNACOL)
- Blended Learning: A look at the Transformation of K-12 Education in Idaho (Nov. 2013, iNACOL):
Blended Learning Videos
- Phaedrus: Blended Learning (Blended Learning Implementation in a San Francisco Catholic School)
- What is Blended Learning? (From The Learning Accelerator)
- The Basics of Blended Learning (From Education Elements)
WebsitesTwitter Hastag for Blended Learning – #blendedlearning