For the past two years I have studied various topics…all related to K-12 online learning. Now, the time has come to truly design the study and, now, I am struggling to determine that topic. I can hear the professors at CSU Fresno saying, “the only good dissertation is a done dissertation” or “you don’t have to save the world.”
So, here is where I’m at. I know that I want to do something with K-12 online learning. Listed below are the possible questions I might study.
- What are the characteristics that cause high school students to be successful in online courses? (Have found Roblyer ESPRI prediction model interesting)
- Is there a difference in success of online high school students whether they take an online course part time or full time?
- Do students of color achieve better in charter online schools than in comprehensive schools?
- Do culturally responsive online schools result in greater student success? (Research by Geneva Gay)
- Is there a significant difference between student achievement of high school students in charter online schools as compared with students in brick-and-mortar high schools?
- Is there a relationship between students enrolled in online charter schools and student dropouts? (Not sure how to find the drop outs to study…)
I would appreciate your thoughts…what most needs to be studied in the K-12 online school world?